Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sent Through the Loop

Hey, guys! This week has been super crazy. This week, we have
been focusing on gratitude and about when we are grateful for things
we have, we tend to be happier. This is what Elder McInerny was
inspired to have our district meetings on. To say the least, we
really, really needed it for this week of any others. I have felt that
The Lord was definitely testing my abilities to keep a positive
attitude. I can probably say that He used all sorts of ways, but in
the time when it was hardest, he always gave something small to smile
about.

     On Wednesday, we received a phone call from the senior couple who
helps us teach one of our investigators. Sister Lyddiard was very
stern in her voice and the conversation between her and Elder McInerny
on the phone was very serious. It was a simple "We need you to come
give a blessing to someone in the hospital, also pray for Chris
Thompson." Chris Thompson is a less active member of the church and
also the husband of an investigator we are teaching, Laura Thompson.
We quickly said a prayer for Chris and then there was a knock at our
door. The Lyddiard's were here, ready to pick us up to go to the
hospital. We get into the car and it wasn't a happy feeling in the car
as it usually is. After about 30 seconds of silence and me wondering
what is going on, Sister Lyddiard turns around in her chair and tells
us that Laura had just passed away. My heart sank....... Laura was in
her upper 30's and had an addiction to smoking, but we never thought
she was even close to the end of her life.... God just works in
different ways that we don't understand sometimes... Laura had a
desire to be baptized, but was just held back by her addiction to
smoking. I know now that she can accept a baptism by proxy in the
temple so she can be with her family forever and receive her salvation
that awaits her. Chris is hanging in there right now and he needs
prayers. We were over helping him as much as we could this last week.
     Laura's funeral was on Monday (7/28/14) and was part of the
reason I didn't email you guys then. It was an amazing funeral service
for a remarkable person. She was a loving mother to all and always
made me and other missionaries welcome in their house. Her smile was
great! So was her sense of humor. Never a dull moment with her. She
has three young kids. Her oldest is six and he has autism. Chris is a
great father and will do great taking care of the kids.

     On a lighter note (probably a C), we moved apartments! This is
the second apartment that I have moved on my mission. Maybe it is a
foreshadow to the fact that I might move a couple times later in my
life.. hahah! Thankfully, it was just down the street a little bit. I
am still at the same complex, just a couple buildings down. This is
another factor of why I didn't email on Monday. We moved and cleaned
for most of the day. It had to be moved out of and spic n' span by the
time the leasing office closed that day. I love the new place and it
is definitely something to smile over. While in the process of moving,
I accidentally broke my trumpet tie clip that my dad bought for me...
That was really sad.... :/ I will just have to find a new one I guess.

     Sunday was really coolieo! President and Sister Riggs came to our
ward and spoke during sacrament meeting! Of course, they talked about
missionary work and being member missionaries along side the full time
missionaries. It takes two hands to play an amazing piece of music on
a piano and they have to be lined up on the right notes to accurately
perform this magnificent piece of music. Just as two hands are needed
to successfully play the piano piece, members and missionaries must
work together to successfully bring people to the gospel!
     After church was over, Sister Sonia Kough made me a flan cake and
brought all the missionaries into the kitchen to sing to me. It was
really nice of her. In the morning, I opened my package that my
parents had sent me and I absolutely love what was in there. A whole
bunch of Drum Corps stuff, some ties, candy, a rock named Fredrick,
bubble wrap, a VHS of MoTab and the Canadian Brass, and one of
Stanford's old socks!!! hahaha! Gotta love it. I also received a
package from the MiaMaids form my ward back home! I am grateful for
all the love and support that I receive from all of you guys back
home!

Sorry that this has been a really long letter, but it has been a
really long week. (164 Hours. i think....) I love you all!!!!


Gratefully,
~ Elder Zac Snell

p.s. Welcome to the ranks, Jake! You are soon to find out why being on
a mission is were you will learn most of your life lessons. Also,
don't drink the Orange juice in the MTC. If you want to find out why,
then drink it, but I would advise you not. Or you could press your
luck. Drink it, I dare you. >:)

No comments:

Post a Comment